New Expedition Install on Ubuntu 20.04 - Disk Usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

New Expedition Install on Ubuntu 20.04 - Disk Usage

L1 Bithead

Hello!

I recently rebuilt my Expedition Server on a new Ubuntu 20.04 with the new instruction.  Couple of questions:

The new installation guide recommends a 3 disk setup:

• Disk 1: OS (6GB)
  • Disk 2: Data (150GB)
  • Disk 3: PALogs (4TB)

When installing in this manner you immediately get a warning in the Expedition GUI that the OS Drive where "/home/userSpace" is running out of Disk Space (Not great for a net new install)

• I rebuilt the server again with an OS Drive of 10GB which initially corrects this issue
  • However, as soon as you create a project or import a Device, this warning returns, as it appears Project Files and Devices are also stored in the "/home/userSpace" directory....
    • Is there a way to change where this directory lives?  Why wouldn't the system be using the Disk 2 or Disk 3 which has significantly more space, as the installation guide would lead you to believe Disk 1 is for the OS only?

What is the purpose of Disk 2?  My Devices Dump their logs to Disk 3 (PALogs - 4TB).  Once the logs reside there, the ML Engine processes them and then deletes them.  A such, when is Disk 2 (Data - 150GB) ever used?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hello @dparrish-better 

You may have run out of space because the root folder path is filling up. The reason for the larger hard drive on the log side is because some people parse a massive amount of firewalls and some of these firewalls ingest tons of data so at the very least 100gb would be a recommendation. Also not all customers want their data deleted after some want it compressed and saved on the machine.

@azuniga Appreciate the response; however, that doesn't directly answer the question.  Per the Expedition Install Guide it says the OS disk only needs to be 6GB.  That will be undersized if this is where Device/Project folders reside, as Ubuntu 20.04LTS3 with updates is already almost 6GB.

Is there a way to change the directory where Project/Device data is stored?  It currently goes to "/home/userSpace" - which is on the OS Disk

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!