Active/Passive HA direct link between firewalls

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Active/Passive HA direct link between firewalls

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

I use PA-220's in HA pairs often, and I've always used a straight-through cable to connect port 7 and 8 from FW1 to port 7 and 8 on FW2. I've never had ANY issues with this configuration. 

I just learned that PAN says to use a crossover cable when connecting the firewalls directly to one another like I have been doing all this time with a straight through cable.

What's the benefit of using a crossover cable vs. straight through cable? To me, it just complicates the environment and adds another item to keep in inventory. In my opinion, cross over cables are becoming more and more irrelevant as more and more devices are becoming smart enough to reverse the pins automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Drew

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

yes as clearly stated here..

MickBall_0-1611679656265.png

I also use straight through, most x-over cables are made on the fly and have no twists in the last couple of inches... or maybe that's just me...

Hi MickBall,

Thanks for responding. Yes, it was clearly stated there. My question is, what's the benefit of using a cross-over cable vs. straight-through cables?

I don't believe there is a benefit...   probably hysterical from back in the day before auto sense was norm.

@Drew-Gilman,

The only benefit is that you are taking auto sense out of the equation. Autosense can fail, but it's extremely rare at this point. A crossover takes that possibility out of the equation though. So the recommendation that TAC made is technically the most correct way to do it, but lets be honest we've all moved past that practice. 

Thanks, BPry. It sounds like it's not worth the trouble of keeping/maintaining track of crossover cables in inventory and on site in the event the auto sense feature fails.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!