Agentless User-ID with PAN5.x - AD Configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Agentless User-ID with PAN5.x - AD Configuration

Not applicable

I have read the tech article "How to Configure Agentless User-ID in PAN- OS 5.0.x"

I'd love to see this document broken into two docs - one that I can send out to customers to prepare for POC - the AD user account setup portion without the PAN firewall config portion . . . does this already exist somewhere?

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

While on the subject: May have been asked before, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of going agentless vs with agent.

How do they compare in terms of reliability (user to ip mapping integrity), performance ?

What does PA recommend ?

At the Ignite conference they talked about the fact that they were able to make the agentless User-ID process very efficient.  Apparently the process is much faster at identifying when a new domain user, or exchange user, logs in.  I suppose it would be handy to have one less piece in the puzzle as well.

Bob

L2 Linker

Where did you find this tech article? I searched and can't locate it.

M

The article can be located here - How to Configure Agentless User-ID in PAN-OS 5.0.x

Personally if I only wanted the customer to setup the user account on the domain and not see the firewall configuration I would write my own version of this with own screenshots so then I could put my own company's branding on the document. Smiley Happy

Anyone with PAN to confirm this ?

No one from Palo Alto yet.  I will work on rounding someone up.  What I have been told is. . .

USER-ID Update

It is no longer necessary to use windows machine for one AD server

It is best practice to setup filters to only enumerate groups that will be used in a policy - groups are ONLY used to create policy.

The (windows) agent can still be used to check in with multiple AD servers.  As you probably know, it looks for kerberos tickets and also polls via Netbios or WMI to see if anyone has moved.

Also, it is suggested to use agent if you don't want to use the control plane of the firewall for additional processing.

Hope that helps a little for now. . .

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!