Application Risk level

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Application Risk level

L4 Transporter

What happens when you change an application risk number from a 5 to a 1? Does this just change the read out of your risk level or does it change the way the firewall acts on the application?

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

Application risk levels are only cosmetic, they do not directly affect any action on the firewall. So if you change one, it is just a visual change.

If you create an Application Filter that uses the risk level as its trigger, then any changes you make to an app's risk level will be calculated there as well.

@gwesson

that is what I thought but one of my coworker is changing them but I don't think it is gaining him anything other a lower risk rating. I think if you did an application override you would get different results

@jdprovine,

What exactly is your coworker trying to do? Lowering the risk level, and overall fine-tuning the risk to your environment, is nice to do in a handful of situations. Application filters are effected if you built them by risk, Risk reports will probably mirror the environment you are in, and some other benefits. 

Most of the installs I've seen don't take the time to do anything with Application Risk levels, but if you aren't decrypting traffic lowing the risk level of web-browsing and SSL could give you nicer looking management reports. 

@BPry

I am not sure what his point is but I am going to talk to them today and clarify that it is only making cosmetic changes, it is not changing the way the PA acts on that app.  I think he may mistaken  the recommendation of the SE to make sure that regularly used application be allowed through the firewall.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!