Block External Email

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block External Email

L0 Member

Hello -

Basically I would like to start blocking external email access from the internal network such as Yahoo Mail.  I don't want to block access to Yahoo itself, just inbound email from Yahoo and other sites like that.

Is there any documentation on how to best accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

There is another way to block the email applications. You can block the application with 'gmail-base', 'yahoo-mail-base.'

--
"The Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

You may block the Yahoo email server's domains. 

Incoming Mail (POP) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

However, it works only for direct access from the internal client to the servers. Many users use web browsers to access their emails (webmail).

Plus, there is another issue that the users may access the Yahoo emails through other email providers. (e.g., I access my Yahoo emails via Gmail - there is a feature called 'Import mail' or 'Check mail from other accounts.')

That means you have to block other service providers such as Google.

--

@AnalysisMan Thank you for your reply!

"Many users use web browsers to access their emails (webmail)."

That is exactly what I'd like to prevent.  Is that possible with the palo's?

You may block webmail domains like mail.yahoo.com, mail.google.com.
Or
If you have the URL Filtering license, you can block entire web-based emails with a category called 'web-based-email.'

--

There is another way to block the email applications. You can block the application with 'gmail-base', 'yahoo-mail-base.'

--
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!