Block IE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Block IE

L0 Member

Will blocking Internet Explorer from internet access also block MS Edge in IE mode?  If so, is there a way to allow Edge in IE mode but still block Internet Explorer?

2 REPLIES 2

Community Team Member

Hi @alowranc ,

In order to block IE, you would need to create a custom application. If you create a custom application to match IE you can try to access Edge in IE mode to see if Edge doesnt match. If it is matching the custom application you created, you could create a custom app for Edge to allow traffic. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@alowranc ,

Off hand, I strongly believe that Edge in IE mode uses the Trident User-Agent declaration, which is also the easiest way to block all versions of IE. Specifically this displays Trident/7.0 which is the IE 11 user-agent string.

I think this would take a bit of work if you use the easiest signature for blocking IE from your network. You'd either need to exclude IE 11 and manually specify every other string, or find some sort of identifier specific to IE Mode that I don't think actually exists. 

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!