Block streaming media for sports only

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block streaming media for sports only

L1 Bithead

Hello,

We have received a request to block streaming media only for the sports category.  Is that possible and how would we go about doing that?

We have a PA-3020 running software version 7.06

thank you

mike

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

URL categorization does not go that specific.

There is 'streaming-media' category that covers all streaming media.

You can try what category 'sports' give you but this is rather everything about sports.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

URL categorization does not go that specific.

There is 'streaming-media' category that covers all streaming media.

You can try what category 'sports' give you but this is rather everything about sports.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L7 Applicator

Hello Mike,

Just FYI few more related discussions: 

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/General-Topics/blocking-media-streaming-and-chatting/m-p/42068/...

If you have specific list of URL's you may also considor this: Apply QoS for Youtube and streaming media

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/Apply-QoS-for-Youtube-and-streaming-medi...

Thanks

HULK

L7 Applicator

Probably the most effective way to do this would be to create an Application Filter (Objects tab > Application Filters > Add) and give it a name like "Video Streaming". I do this for my at-home QoS policy (though I'm making it faster instead of blocking it =P)

Create a security rule with the Sports category in the rule itself, the Video Streaming application filter you created above, and an action of Deny.

This should be skipped when a normal sports web page is pulled up, but any application that matches the filter will be blocked when on a sports page.

Note: I have not tested this, so I don't know if it'll break other stuff. You'll want to test it with your own client before implementing it site-wide.

edit: My rules don't normally include categories in the rules themselves, so that column isn't present in my screenshot. Sorry about that!

Screenshot of what I wrote in app filter and security rule:

sports.png

Thanks for the reply.  We really don't have specific URLs in mind. 

Thanks!  I will play around with that a bit and let you know how it goes. 

I have been a bit remiss on relaying the results back, my apologies. It would appear Raido was correct. Creating the application filter works, but only if the url is categorized as sports. So it worked for the majority of sites, but the request to block all sports related streaming media was a bit unrealistic.  

Thanks again to all that replied!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!