Block the download of jre-xxx-.exe

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block the download of jre-xxx-.exe

L1 Bithead

I have been asked to develop a solution within our company to stop the downloading of all versions of Java (jre-8u291-macosx-x64) from anywhere on the internet as well as from internal file shares. 

Because of the change in licensing, my company is subject to Oracle’s EULA as stated below:

“The Oracle Java License has changed for releases starting April 16, 2019.

The new Oracle Technology Network License Agreement for Oracle Java SE is substantially different from prior Oracle Java licenses. The new license permits certain uses, such as personal use and development use, at no cost -- but other uses authorized under prior Oracle Java licenses may no longer be available. Please review the terms carefully before downloading and using this product. An FAQ is available here. Commercial license and support is available with a low cost Java SE Subscription.”

We do not want to block the official Oracle or Java download URLs, as we are unsure if business critical applications are configured to automatically pull updates. I investigated the blocking of the actual .exe, but with the name and signature of the .exe changing each time the version changes, that seems like too much administrative overhead.

Has anyone else come across this challenge? If so, what is your approach?

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

File blocking is how I would accomplish this.

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

L0 Member

Hi, should we use "file blocking" or "data filtering" to block this? 

• 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!