Can i block file by file name?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can i block file by file name?

L3 Networker

Hi,

so, can i? Eg.: i want to allow upload/download .pdf files, but block "hacker tutorial.pdf" file. How i can do that?

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Following article explains a way to achieve this  Can Files be Blocked by Name?

Sorry, but this document explains nothing for me.. I read it few times before.. Maybe i missing something..

At the moment, there is no direct method to block files using their names .

Following workarounds can be used:

1> Create a Custom URL category using the source URL of the file and block this custom-url category.

Eg : If you know the URLs where this file "hacker tutorial.pdf" could be downloaded from :

Create a custom URL category and block this category using URL filtering profile.

2> Create custom application signature  for the URL path including the filename.

P.S: "But please keep in mind that once you block the file by filename your users will normally try to change the filename to bypass the control which makes it useless."

Ref https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/message/10273#10273

Thank you for answer. And i understand that users will normally try to change the file name.

Hi,

Correct, paloalto is not a DLP product 🙂

Maybe you can try to:

create URL filtering with "Hacking" for exemple

Block download from these site.

If sites are in https, keep in mind that you can configure SSL decrytion.

V.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!