Can I upgrade pan-os after support license expired?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can I upgrade pan-os after support license expired?

L0 Member

Hi everyone,

Can I upgrade pan-os after support license expired? Anyone know that?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @JunsenLiao

what you are asking is a bit controversial.

To be eligible to upgrade PAN-OS you should have a valid support license, however technically you can still upload an image manually. If you click under: Device > Software > "Check Now" without license you will get an error: "An active license is required for this feature", but nothing is stopping you to download an image from Customer Support Portal, then click on "Upload", then you can complete the upgrade. Here is KB how to do the same from CLI.

Personally, I think doing an upgrade in this way is a violation and would avoid it unless you are already in the process to renew support and have urgent need to upgrade it.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @JunsenLiao

what you are asking is a bit controversial.

To be eligible to upgrade PAN-OS you should have a valid support license, however technically you can still upload an image manually. If you click under: Device > Software > "Check Now" without license you will get an error: "An active license is required for this feature", but nothing is stopping you to download an image from Customer Support Portal, then click on "Upload", then you can complete the upgrade. Here is KB how to do the same from CLI.

Personally, I think doing an upgrade in this way is a violation and would avoid it unless you are already in the process to renew support and have urgent need to upgrade it.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L1 Bithead

I am in a similar scenario,

I have 10.1.11-h5 and need to update to 11.x. To achieve this, I must update the content update package. I downloaded the required package from the customer support portal and uploaded to my PA820. When I try to install, this says that there´s no valid license available and can't install the content update.

Jlsierra_0-1709286148223.png

Do you know another way or option to upgrade the PA820 to 11.x without license?

Thank you,

Best regards.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!