Can PaloAlto block content of subject of email?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can PaloAlto block content of subject of email?

Not applicable

For example: I have config the feature data fitlering for block data pattern such as :" .*Salary, .*Confidential". When I send email out with subject: "Salary or Confidential", can PaloAlto detect and block this email? And can PaloAlto detect and block content of body, attached file of email when I send out with content which has word such as : "Salary, Confidential". Can PaloAlto block according to protocol such as : SMTP, IMAP, FTP, HTTP,...etc?

Pls, help me to answer it ASAP.

Tks for helping.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L0 Member

>For example: I have config the feature data fitlering for block data pattern such as :" .*Salary, .*Confidential". When I send email out ?>with subject: "Salary or Confidential", can PaloAlto detect and block this email? And can PaloAlto detect and block content of body,

Yes.

>attached file of email when I send out with content which has word such as : "Salary, Confidential". Can PaloAlto block according to

Yes.

>protocol such as : SMTP, IMAP, FTP, HTTP,...etc?

Yes we will do check for SMTP, IMAP, FTP and HTTP.

-- Sandeep

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L0 Member

>For example: I have config the feature data fitlering for block data pattern such as :" .*Salary, .*Confidential". When I send email out ?>with subject: "Salary or Confidential", can PaloAlto detect and block this email? And can PaloAlto detect and block content of body,

Yes.

>attached file of email when I send out with content which has word such as : "Salary, Confidential". Can PaloAlto block according to

Yes.

>protocol such as : SMTP, IMAP, FTP, HTTP,...etc?

Yes we will do check for SMTP, IMAP, FTP and HTTP.

-- Sandeep

Hi Sjain,

Are you sure?

Tks for reply.

Yes. It should work unless the email is using some special encoding that we don't currently support.

Thanks,
Sandeep

May I ask you. Can PaloAlto detect and block when I transfer file which has the content, including words such as: "Salary, Confidential" via chat yahoo messenger or skype?

Tks for helping.

Yes for yahoo IM file transfer but no for skype file transfer (skype uses  a proprietary encryption for sending files).

Regards,

Sandeep

How does it handle the block from the SMTP perspective?  If I send a message and it gets blocked do I get notified or does the PAN just drop the connection?

We  will drop the connection... currently no notification is provided to the user but there are plans to add such functionality in future.

Also, note that if SMTP connection is dropped by any intermediate network device (such as in this case by the firewall) SMTP server is going to retry transmitting the email till it exhausts the maximum retries configured.

Thanks,
Sandeep

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!