Can you use DHCP reservation information to map USER-ID?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can you use DHCP reservation information to map USER-ID?

L0 Member

Weird question....but have to ask.

Small Office network

No AD

Use PA220 as a DHCP Server for users (even mobile devices).

DHCP Reservation Table has all the information that I think USER-ID could use.....is there a way to make this happen?

thought about trying to forward a log file out of Management Interface to the Trusted interface.....but just spitballing here.

Bottom line - trying to come up with a way that I don't have to make users authenticate (so to speak).

Like I said....weird question 🙂

thanx,

tlh

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Check out the following:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/user-id/user-id-overview.html

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/user-id/enable-user-id.html

I'm sure there is a location where all users must authenticate to? If not then Captive Portal and /or Global Protect might be the way to go.

Just some thoughts.

L4 Transporter

@thartman I don't think that this will work.

The DHCP DORA process has no user information involved - so how should the firewall map that IP to a user?

I would recommend to use internal globalprotect for UserID - that's the best reliable source for it - in the meantime, youcould use WMI probing

Best Regards
Chacko

L0 Member

If you use PA as DHCP server, you can feed PA DHCP logs back to itself, use hostname or MAC address as username.

Some devices report their hostname while getting IP from DHCP server, some don't. in this case, you have to use MAC address as username. 

1. Enable USER-ID syslog listener UDP on management interface.

2. Configure PA to send DHCP lease-start logs to its management interface.

3. Configure Palo Alto Networks User-ID Agent Setup, in the Syslog filters:

Event Regex: DHCP\ lease\ started

Username Regex: hostname\ ([a-zA-Z0-9\\\._-]+)

Address Regex: ip\ ([0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3})\s

4. Configure Server Monitoring, to monitor itself management interface, apply above syslog filter.

Tested on my PA-VM 10.0.4. My mobile phone reports its hostname as android-xxxxxx

L0 Member

OK. It seems someone already tested on old PAN-OS version as well:

https://jamesholland.me.uk/user-id-from-dhcp/

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!