Captive Portal on connecting to SSID rather than via Browser for Apple devices - is it possible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive Portal on connecting to SSID rather than via Browser for Apple devices - is it possible?

L4 Transporter

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if it is possible to have captive portal pop up on connecting to a SSID rather than having the captive portal page upon accessing any website for apple devices?  Captive Portal works on accessing any website using safari.

I tried blocking www.apple.com/library/test/success.html as a custom url so that the iPad does not check for internet connection in the background.  It does not seem to work for me.

Am I missing something in terms of configuration or is it not possible for the PA-500?

Many Thanks,

Kalyan

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

A lot of wireless units can have a redirect on connect to SSID which you should be able to point towards the CP on the PA-500.  But, when the timeout happens on the PA-500, the unit will still be on the wireless, which means they will be blocked until the authenticate again by going to a webpage.

From the info I have gathered, the "success" page by Apple is mean to do exactly what you want:  Hit a page via http and prompt for captive portal if you can't get out.

Does that help?

Bob

Not exactly.  I dont want to open up any browser or access any webpage to be captive portal'd.

What I meant to say was:  I take my iPad, find a SSID Guest and connect to it.  Upon clicking on Guest, I would like to see the captive portal screen.

Either I have completely misunderstood your opinion or my thoughts are way to fancy Smiley Happy

Cheers

Kalyan

Do you have a WPA/WPA2 password on your guest network?

Nope.  The guest networks was taken as an example.  I am trying to have this sorted for students who are handed over iPads to connect to the student SSID.  So ideally they would be using their domain accounts.

Ok, but that is exactly what CP is.... getting user credentials via a web page.

My recommendation could be to take a look at some of the API scripts that PA has written with its vendors, so when a user IS authenticated to a wireless network, those credentials are sent via REST API to the FW.   This functionality is discussed in the PA205 class, and there are scripts written, which would accomplish this.

I do not think it will be a straight copy/paste and it's working, it will require some tweaking on your part.

Let me know if this is what is closer to what you are looking for.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!