combine more than two port for internet connections

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

combine more than two port for internet connections

L0 Member

Hi 

I wish to understand how combining  more than two ports for internet connections works. I have configure four ports for internet connections with deferent speed. 

when I perform a seed test. I think, some result base one companying all port seed - fast speed result-  but some times base on one port speed - slow speed result . so I am not sure how Palo Alto works and speed test works in my case.

Does the speed test base one select port or it is allows combine ports seed. and who I can conform this. 

thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ehsunn,

Your question is a little difficult to follow, but I think I got the gist of it. 

When you setup an aggregate interface you're not going to suddenly have for example 20Gb on a single stream just because you aggregated two 10Gb links. The traffic is simply load-balanced between both links, but a single stream will never be able to use more bandwidth than the link it traveled.

Generally when you have split bandwidth capabilities on links its not recommended that you create an Aggregate interface, in fact if speed is physically different at the actual interface level the firewall won't even create the aggregate (You can't have a 10Gb link and a 1Gb link in the same AE). 

Hopefully that makes sense, but in essence what you are doing will cause you to see the results that you are having, and that's 100% expected. Your seeing slower speeds when your stream takes the slower interface, and fast speeds when it goes out the faster interface. 

@BPry 

thank for your reply.

I think you did not get the gist. a apology,  so I will add details hopefully makes more sense.

My internet connection bandwidth is 20MB and other three 10MB and they all  providing internet connections for all user at the same time. 

the result I get after seep test 18MB or 8 MB. so I do not get the more than 30MB.

so my question is, does the seed testing processing chose one port from the four internet connection. 

If there is load-balanced how this testing works. between for connation's

thanks  

@ehsunn,

As I attempted to explain above, your results are expected. When you create an aggregate interface the firewall sends each stream through a single interface, so in your end it would route through your 20MB or one of your 10MB links. You shouldn't expect to see a single stream ever go faster than 20MB since that's your fastest interface.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!