CONFIG logs and syslog

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

CONFIG logs and syslog

L2 Linker

Hi there,

we're shipping our logs to a centralized syslog instance. That works great for all types of logs from the PA with the exceptions of the CONFIG logs.

The CONFIG logs are submitted at all, with the problem that the interesting parts "before-change-detail" and "after-change-detail" are not delivered.

Does anyone else ship CONFIG logs and if yes, do you see the same behaviour?

Thanks for advice.

Submitted Syslog Message

2015-02-02 10:32:59	User.Info	1.2.3.4	Feb  2 10:32:59 paloalto.domain.com 1,2015/02/02 10:32:59,123444,CONFIG,0,0,2015/02/02 10:32:59,1.2.33.4,,edit,admin-name,Web,Succeeded, vsys  vsys1 rulebase security rules  one-rule-to-rule-them-all,1544,0x0 

Expected Syslog Message

2015-02-02 10:32:59 User.Info 1.2.3.4 Feb 2 10:32:59 paloalto.domain.com 1,2015/02/02 10:32:59,123444,CONFIG,0,0,2015/02/02 10:32:59,1.2.33.4,,edit,admin-name,Web,Succeeded, vsys vsys1 rulebase security rules one-rule-to-rule-them-all,before-change-detail,after-change-detail,1544,0x0 

10 REPLIES 10

L5 Sessionator
Hi Sven, can you please tell me what version of PAN-OS are you running? Syslog setup has changed in ver. 7.0. Also, setting forwarding of the config logs is done via tab Device > Log Settings > Config, where you can choose to forward Configs to the pre-defined syslog profile. Now, if you aren't seeing any logs forwarded, you should really be opening the support case 🙂 Can you sniff outgoing traffic from the firewall (take tcpdump from CLI) and see if config logs are also being forwarded? I am not sure about the format question you are asking for, would have to look it up, but forwarding of config logs is simple and should work if configured as explained above. regards Luciano

Hi Luciano,

we're running PAN-OS 6.1.5. Logshipping is done via UDP; we've tried TCP with no difference in the result.

CONFIG logs are successful submitted, but a portion of the content is missing; see my sample snippets.

When you export Montior > Configuration to a csv file you have two fields called "before-change-detail" and "after-change-detail". Those two fields are missing in the syslog stream.

Update 1: Just did a tcpdump as suggested. Data is sent, but without those two fields in question.

Cheers,

Sven

Hi Sven,

sorry for quick reading. I would say that is expected behavior, per documentation found here:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Articles/PAN-OS-Syslog-Integration/ta-p/55323

CONFIG
FUTURE_USE, Receive Time, Serial Number, Type, Subtype, FUTURE_USE, FUTURE_USE, Host, Virtual
System, Command, Admin, Client, Result, Configuration Path, Sequence Number, Action Flags

full description on page 14

regards

Luciano

L0 Member

test

Hi Luciano,

thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay in my answer. I didn't received a notification...

The article refers to PAN-OS 5, so I've double checked the version 6.1 document. And in the syslog portion it is stated that "before change detail" and "after change detail" are onyl used in the custom syslog format, not in the default one.

So I've played around with it now these two informations are submitted, more or less complete. For exmaple: An application group with many apps included would be altered in the "before change detail" but the changed value is available. So one can follow the trace...

Now it looks like this:

palotalto.domain.com 1,2015/09/01 10:38:49,S/N,CONFIG,0,2015/09/01 10:38:49,1.2.3.4,,edit,admin,Web,Succeeded, vsys  vsys1 application-group  Test-Apps,4296,0x0,Test-Apps { } ,Test-Apps [ aim-file-transfer ]; 

Thanks for you hint!

I was looking at this today and it looks like this is still the case - I'm running 8.0 code. Syslog does not contain change information. Can anyone confirm? Just want to make sure before I change the default to custom.

Hello @mike406 ,

Mine also does not send what the actual change was to the syslog, 8.0.x.

Regards,

Thanks for confirming.

Any update on this? I am running to the same issue where I add custom fields in Config on Palo. 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-0/pan-os-admin/monitoring/use-syslog-for-monitoring/syslo...

I still see no value in Splunk result after_change_detail  and  before_change_detail

Any update on this? I am running to the same issue where I add custom fields in Config on Palo. 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-0/pan-os-admin/monitoring/use-syslog-for-monitoring/syslo...

I still see no value in Splunk result after_change_detail  and  before_change_detail

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!