Configuring QoS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Configuring QoS

L2 Linker

Hi, I'm still a little new to Palo Alto (but familiar with QoS concepts), and right now I'm trying to understand how QoS is configured on a PA3020 in production (configured by someone else before I was with the company).

I can see a QoS profile called 'default', which is applied to two interfaces. However, there is no QoS policy at all.

If I understand correctly, we need a QoS policy to classify traffic. So, if that's true, does that mean that there is essentially no QoS configured on this firewall?

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi @Luke_R 

Without QoS policies it works too. In this case it is then - depending on the configuration in this default profile - not really QoS but more a bandwidthlimitation.

Without QoS policies the firewalls assings class 4 to all traffic. So if you have configured a max bandwidth value for the overall profile or for class 4, then the firewall does exactly that on the interfaces where the profile is assigned. Other values in this profile are useless in your configuration (if I understood correctly your description of how it is used).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

Hi @Luke_R 

Without QoS policies it works too. In this case it is then - depending on the configuration in this default profile - not really QoS but more a bandwidthlimitation.

Without QoS policies the firewalls assings class 4 to all traffic. So if you have configured a max bandwidth value for the overall profile or for class 4, then the firewall does exactly that on the interfaces where the profile is assigned. Other values in this profile are useless in your configuration (if I understood correctly your description of how it is used).

@Remo 

Thanks, I am seeing traffic in class 4, so what you're saying makes sense.

I really appreciate your help!

@OtakarKlier That's a good link, thanks. I'll be bookmarking that one for sure!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!