Counter to identify if device is dropping traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Counter to identify if device is dropping traffic

Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for help to identify the best way to see if my firewall is dropping traffic because it cannot keep up with the amount of traffic going through the interface.  I want to make sure my firewall can keep up with the amount of traffic going through it.  Also, I am looking for any other ways to determine if my firewall is not keeping up with the load.  I am using my firewall for threat detection and wildfire.  I am running a PA 500

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

Hi Bob,

During the time when you suspect firewall is dropping traffic you can run following commands :

show running resource monitor minute last <minutes>

if you see number around 100 or 90, that would mean firewall buffers are full for any additional traffic. You can also run "show session all" and look for session utilization and packet rate going through the firewall. Hope that helps.

Hi,

The command "show running resource monitor minute last <minutes>"  is very useful.  Thanks.

Bob

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!