Custom HIP Check for Linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom HIP Check for Linux

L1 Bithead

Hey guys,

I've been tasked to have Globalprotect only allow company owned devices over the VPN. I know I can create custom HIP checks for Windows/Mac (reg/plist value). How would I do the same for Linux clients?

I have two end users that work remote, and are on a Linux machine. Still having issues with getting the GlobalProtect client for linux to work properly. VNC with IPSec is how they currently connect, and it works fine. I'm only on version 4.1.2, and am working on upgrading to 4.1.4 in hopes it corrects my problem.

The problem I'm having with the Linux client is that it fails because it doesn't trust the server certificate. However, when you navigate to the portal there is no certificate error.

Linux client problems aside... I'm trying to find the best answer to meet this initiative -> Only allow our devices on the VPN

Is the HIP check the best/easiest answer, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for all your help,

Paul

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Paul_Lupini,

You could query 'dnsdomainname' and verify that the output matches your domain; this would at least ensure that the linux machine is joined to your AD. Just keep in mind that there really isn't anything stopping a user from doing a domain join on a different linux machine as long as they have a user within your domain unless you have restricted those permissions. Most enviroments seem to forget that by default users have the ability to do a domain join operation. 

That's what I was thinking of as well. The two users are using Mint 18 Cinnamon. Mint isn't recognizing dnsdomainname, but does respond with domainname though it reports none. However, I can run realm list and see the domain.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!