DHCP Clients Not Getting IP From ISP Router Thru VWIRE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

DHCP Clients Not Getting IP From ISP Router Thru VWIRE

L2 Linker

Hi All,

I may be missing something but wanted to check with you all.  I have a network with a PA-200 (vwire) between a FIOS router and a Netgear Layer 2  switch.  I also have WAPs connected to the switch.  The FIOS router is providing DHCP address to the wired/wireless clients connected.  The DHCP clients are not getting IP addresses and I'm getting errors that the DHCP server cannot be reached.  I do have an outbound rule so I can test URL filtering, but everything is set to alert in the URL Filter Profile.  BTW, no DHCP issues are encountered with the PA removed from the mix.

It's a pretty simple setup so I was wondering if anyone has had this type of issue.  Or maybe my setup isn't correct?  I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Dan

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker

Quick question on your vwire did you create an untrust zone and a trust zone? That is what I did and I had the same issue. I created a security policy rule from untrust to trust on my vwire with only the application dhcp and that worked for me.

Andy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L2 Linker

Quick question on your vwire did you create an untrust zone and a trust zone? That is what I did and I had the same issue. I created a security policy rule from untrust to trust on my vwire with only the application dhcp and that worked for me.

Andy

Also forgot stick that dhcp rule at the top of the security policy list.

Thanks Andy.  I'll try that tomorrow or Wednesday and and follow up on the thread.

Dan

L3 Networker

For testing create an any any policy to check if that resolves the issue. If that helps, then create a bidirectional security policy from between your inside and outside zone and allow the dhcp application.

That did the trick.  The zones were already in place so all I needed to do was allow DHCP from the Untrusted to the Trusted and it worked like a charm.  I guess I was hoping for a striaght plug-n-play but I'm glad it's working. 

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!