DHCP Garbage Collection - or lack thereof?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DHCP Garbage Collection - or lack thereof?

Not applicable

I may have misunderstood the PAN tech support rep, but I believe he told me about an hour ago that there is no garbage collection routine on expired DHCP leases in PanOS. First of all, did I misunderstand the rep, and if not, how are you handling cleanup of expired DHCP leases? Are you going out and clearing the dhcp leases periodically my manual CLI? Are there scripts out there that would do the cleanup? If so, how do you schedule them to run on PanOS?

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable

That should have said by manual CLI

L4 Transporter

Hello and thank you for yur question.

The PaloAlto device does not have a garbage script, instead we set the lease time and rely on the client side to renew in accordance with the RFC. The timer begins running as soon as the lease begins so even if your client was to receive an 8 hour lease, logout and walk away for 4 hours they clock is still running. Once the lease has expired the IP will be returned to the pool unless the client side renews the lease.

Thank you,

Phil Kruse

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!