DNS Proxy Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DNS Proxy Issue

L0 Member

Hello all, I think I have pretty easy setup, just having issues getting DNS Proxy to work 100%. My goal is to have all users client device DNS primary to point to the firewall and all queries go to the firewall, then the firewall will send all requests to the primary (192.168.10.10) when online and to secondary (192.168.11.10) when primary is down.

I have a sub interface (example ae1.1 with IP 192.168.1.1/24) on the firewall that users gateway to. I don't have any DNS Proxy Rules or Static Entries configured, and under Advanced, I just have UDP Queries Retries set to 1 second and 1 attempt, and Cache turned off as request from my DNS admin. Then the ae1.1 in the interface list.

The issue I am having is trying to get nslookup to work. If I use the firewall for the nslookup, it just times out. But if I specify the primary DNS server IP in the nslookup (for example: nslookup www.msn.com 192.168.10.10) it works.  So the issue is just when trying on the firewall.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior?

Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

Community Team Member

Hi @Samtec-Matt ,

Could you explain a little more about how you are trying from the firewall? Are you testing from the CLI? or are you testing from a host that has your ae1.1 as its gateway? 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hello @JayGolf , I am testing from a Windows 10 client PC using ae1.1 for the gateway and primary DNS server.

Thanks!

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!