DNS queries - custom signatures

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DNS queries - custom signatures

L0 Member

Hi all,

does anyone know how can I identify (if possible) DNS queries from client toward particular web sites. The aim is to see and eventually block some DNS queries that try to resolve forbidden sites. I can't use URL filtering license.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

L0 Member

Any answers, please?

Thanks

L3 Networker

Perhaps the easiest way should be to put something like

www.unwished.com   www.yourcompany.com

in the /etc/hosts of your DNS-Server.

Another way could be to configure a redirection in your squid proxy - if existing.

The "unknown-req-udp-payload" pattern matching in a PA spyware custom signature is not to very promising. The "Data Filtering" pattern matching looks only to files, and only to a few types of them.

L3 Networker

If you only have a "limited" number of forbidden sites, why not create apps of these sites and then use the custom apps to allow/deny access?

Hi guys,

thanks for your answer.

I need to monitor or block dns queries toward particular web sites, not the http requests. 🙂

I see the "udp-request-payload" context but...I would like to know how-to use it and if it can meet my needs...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

L0 Member

Hi,

does anyone of PAN support know how and when I can use "unknown-req-udp-payload" context?

Is it useful for all udp communication not better recognized or something else?

If I want to identify and block DNS queries toward ie. google.com, can I create a custom signature with "unknown-req-udp-payload" and use google.com as pattern or it won't be identified because it is already a "dns" signature and won't fall in my custom signature?

Thanks

Context  'unknown-req-udp-payload'  will allow you to match the udp payload, and as in all other cases the custom signature will take prescience.

Hi Samuels,

could you give me an example of  'unknown-req-udp-payload'  that identify an A query to resolve example.com ?

I tried many patterns but without success...

Thanks

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!