Does updating definitions/antivirus cause any downtime?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does updating definitions/antivirus cause any downtime?

L1 Bithead

I have a new PA-3020 that is inline on my network, meaning if it goes down then so does my network.  
Because this PA-3020 is inline I was worried about updating the definitions (only two weeks old right now), and I was not sure if during a definitions/antivirus update, then the 3020 might drop or blip its in/out connections.  Basically, if my 3020 were to lose connection, even for 30 seconds, then many alarms would sound on our network monitoring system, and I would like to avoid that.    

I have seen a definition update take place, and it does not seem like the Palo Alto blips its connections.  
Just thought I would ask you guys first, thanks.  

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@AndrewPaloAlto,

Dynamic updates don't cause any downtime, and they won't directly effect traffic in any way unless a new signature starts mapping the traffic that isn't accounted for or causes a false-positive match (new app-ids that are identified but aren't accounted for in the security rulebase, or new threat signatures that falsely match legitimate traffic within your environment). 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!