Ethernet aggregate group

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ethernet aggregate group

L3 Networker

Hello,

I have been reviewing aggregate Ethernet interface group 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-web-interface-help/network/network-interfaces/ag...

and I see LACP is not enable by default, then I would like to know, How work the aggregate when you not use LACP? What is the default behavior of aggregate interface without LACP?

Thank you in advance 

Regards

Marivi

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

PA firewalls use the 802.1ax standard so all interfaces in an etherchannel are active. LACP isn't required for aggregate interfaces but it does provide some features that are helpful in certain situations.

The PA doc says the traffic is load-balanced, which isn't really accurate. It's more of a load-share depending on settings.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Hi Marivi,

By default lacp is not enable. then aggregate work like an activ/passiv aggregate.

With Lacp you can use all link in parallel.

Cheers

v.

Hello,

Vince ok, but how can we configure which interface act as active and which as passive? I could do it using LACP and configuring max port and priority. htnak you in advance.

Regards

Marivi

Hi,

you can't 🙂

V.

Hello,

then for example if I have an ggregate wth 3 interfaces,

which one will act as active and which one as passive?

and what will be the behavior? the interfaces that are in passive (not ingress/egress any traffic )  will became active when ethernet in active mode fail?

Regards

Marivi

PA firewalls use the 802.1ax standard so all interfaces in an etherchannel are active. LACP isn't required for aggregate interfaces but it does provide some features that are helpful in certain situations.

The PA doc says the traffic is load-balanced, which isn't really accurate. It's more of a load-share depending on settings.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!