Firewall random reboots cause of critical error dnsproxy: restarts exhausted, rebooting system

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Firewall random reboots cause of critical error dnsproxy: restarts exhausted, rebooting system

L1 Bithead

Hey dear colleagues!

Our customer faced an issue when firewall starts to randomly reboot without any reason. We requested a TSF and in even analyses we found that customer had Split Brain and this two errors:

dnsproxy restarted unexpectedly however no known issue was identified. Please open a case if further assistance is required.

dnsproxy: restarts exhausted, rebooting system

I couldn’t find any information about this issue and still wondering what can cause this issue. DNSproxy is not configured on the device.

PAN-OS v. 10.2.2
Model 3220

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

Yes, solution is to configure DNS server on Device>Setup>Service. This is a bug. Lack of this setting shouldnt cause firewall to reboot.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would recommend opening a support case. However for the split-brain, change the priorities on the HA config in the 'Election Settings'.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClSuCAK

Regards, 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@FarkhanAliyev,

The moment you have an FQDN address object you are using the DNS Proxy service from a device aspect. With that in mind, I would guess that you actually are using the process itself. Not that this really fixes your issue, you still need to open a case to address root cause.

You could take a look at the actual dnsproxyd.log file to see if it actually logs anything that might point towards the problem as you work through the issue with support. 

L1 Bithead

Thank you dear colleagues for your help!

We will open support case and try to find whats a problem.

L0 Member

Did you find a solution for the problem?

L1 Bithead

Yes, solution is to configure DNS server on Device>Setup>Service. This is a bug. Lack of this setting shouldnt cause firewall to reboot.

L2 Linker

I had the same issue. I put a DNS server on the field. I would like to know if it's a official bug or if you've opened a Tac what was the RC
Pan-OS: 10.1.8-h2

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!