Firmware update from USB

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Firmware update from USB

L1 Bithead

Hello All,

I am new to paloalto firewalls (student in training), I have a PA-500 device and I am trying to update the firmware from 6.0.2 to 6.1.0 from USB. I have tried the following below and still having issues.

1. Directly download into the firewall
2. Download firmware from laptop/desktop

I was wondering though seeing that there is a USB port on the device itself if I could try it from there? I plugged
the USB directly into the device but having trouble finding the USB to get the software I need. I am trying to find
it in the GUI and cannot see it so I assume I can access this through the CLI? Any thoughts, suggestions or
documentation would be helpful.

Thank you for all your help!
lzabler

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

As per @bmorris1  comment you only can use USB port for Bootstrapping and only if you do have a 7.1.x or above PAN-OS (and not only as an iPhone charger)). Can you try to reinstall already existing PAN-OS from the Software tab? Then try again by manual option. l did it before many times and had no problems. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

Hi,

l usually charge my iPhone over that USB port as l could not find any other use of it.  hardware guide says: USB port for future use.

Why do you fail to upgrade when trying direct download or manual? 

Thx,

Myky

L4 Transporter

Hi Luke,

The USB port at the moment is used only for bootstrapping which is supported in versions 7.1.0 and upwards. And as TranceForLife says, charging your iPhone in the data centre 😉

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/pan-os/pan-os/firewall-administration/bootstrap-th...

If you've already uploaded the software image onto the firewall via the GUI it should be appearing in the list to install. Alternatively try seeing if it is available in the CLI if not in the GUI.

> request system software install version <version number>

You can enter a question mark in the CLI to see the available versions.

hope this helps,

Ben

Thank you for that information! I thought I was going crazy. 

Here are the steps of what I have been doing: 

1. In the GUI I go to Device > Software 

right away I get an error message that says "Operation Failed - No update available"

2. Then I click on Upload icon and browse to my file. 

*GUI in  Chrome browser *

- Import Software Package window - C:\fakepath\PanOS_500-6.1.0

- Click ok 

- Uploading starts

After the upload goes through I get the same message "PAN OS Saved" and then I get

"Operation Failed - No update available"

3. However I do click on the "Install From File" and notice that the "PanOS_500-6.1.0" file is in there 

- I select the file and press "OK" 

- It starts operation and the status is active however once it is done I either get "Operation Failed - No update available" or 

"device needs to reboot" 

4. I reboot the device then check the software version and I am still at version 6.0.2

Question: 

Should the device be offline when trying to upload from USB? 

Any thoughts or recommendations would be awesome. Thank you for time and helping me. 

lzabler

As per @bmorris1  comment you only can use USB port for Bootstrapping and only if you do have a 7.1.x or above PAN-OS (and not only as an iPhone charger)). Can you try to reinstall already existing PAN-OS from the Software tab? Then try again by manual option. l did it before many times and had no problems. 

TanceforLife, 

Thank you for suggesting that! I reinstalled 6.0.2 and then after that as a test I installed 6.0.3 and it worked! I am not up 6.0.15 (my goal is to get it to the newest firmware which I think is 8 now). When trying to install 6.1.0 I noticed that it gave me an error because it now needs a newer version of Application Software installed Looking to see if I can get that onto USB as well. 

Thank you for all your time and help! 

lzabler

Hello,

Yes you can get a new app database locally and do the same way as you did for PAN-OS. Download panupv2-all-apps-662-3850 file>upload>Install from file. 

L1 Bithead

To be honest not being able to upgrade this via serial is pretty weak. It is a major frustration point.  Add to that the difference in config to advanced routing. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!