Floating IP and ARP load sharing addresses binding in A/A

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Floating IP and ARP load sharing addresses binding in A/A

L3 Networker

Hello All,

I'm curious about spending public IP pool given by my ISP, if I decide to put PAN-s in front edge perimeter. I have seen that in A/A scenario I need 4 IP's (physical and virtual) for Floating IP scenario, or 3 for ARP load sharing (2 physical and one virtual-shared IP).  Am I right or some other way could be used in active/active scenario in order to save public addresses from thin IP pool?

Regards,

Predrag

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

This depends on how you do the load balancing.  If you need the PA to do the load balancing for the active/active then you will need to use one of those two methods and the extra ip addresses.

But if the link load balancing occurs upstream or using routing protocols through the two links, then only the two interface addresses are required and not any of the floating addresses.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!