Problem description :
Flood log triggered by DoS Protection could not be sent to syslog server.
paloalto deploy: v-wire mode
PANOS : v4.1.8
Settings in paloalto :
1. Device -> Server Profiles -> Syslog -> Add a syslog server with port 514 and LOG_USER facility.
2. Objects -> Log Forwarding -> Add a syslog forwarding profile, all severity(Informational, Low, Medium, High and Critical) under threat settings are set syslog profile.
3. Objects -> DoS Protection -> Add a flood , type 'classified', enable SYN Flood, UDP Flood, ICMP Flood, and Other IP Flood, those alarm rate and active rate is 10 packets/sec.
4. From trust to untrust zone and untrust to trust zone security policy, apply default antivirus profile and log forward to syslog server.
5. Add a DoS Protection policy, from trust to untrust zone, set protect action, and Classified enabled, choose flood profile set in step3, Address choose 'source-ip-only'.
6 commit all settings.
1. A client in trust zone, access eicar virus test file, the eicar test file deny log could be viewed in paloalto Monitor -> Logs -> Threat and in syslog server.
2. A client in trust zone, use 'hping' tool to generate tcp flood, the tcp flood log could be viewed in paloalto Monitor -> Logs -> Threat, but syslog is nothing.
Could flood log triggered by DoS Protection not be sent to syslog server?
The attachment is pa-500 configuration and monitor screenshot.
set your zone logging profile to enable logging for Zone Protection events to syslog (or other log forwarding methods)
Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.
The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!
These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!
The Live Community thanks you for your participation!