giving the outside interface multiple ip?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

giving the outside interface multiple ip?

L2 Linker

im facing issue where a firewall with a outside interface is not receiving public ip adresses from the isp router , the isp router is showing it is own interface which is connected to the firewall as the arp destination for the public ip subnet instead of the router , so i was wondering can i add multiple ip addresses to the PA layer3 outside interface?

7 REPLIES 7

L7 Applicator

Hi @chuckles 

Are the additional addresses in the same subnet as your external interface or do you have another subnet with additional addresses?

they are in the same subnet

@chuckles for what do you want to use the additional IP addresses? If you need them for making internal/dmz servers available to the internet or for source NAT IPs for outgoing connections then you actually only need to configure the required NAT rules - that's it. This way your firewall automatically responds to ARP requests for these IPs

Hello,

Or to make your life easier, is it possible to have the ISP just route all of the IP's assigned to you out its 'your device' facing interface?

Just a thought.

@OtakarKlier 

There's probably not much that can be routed as it is already the directly connected interface.

Guess I'm thinking of it a bit differently. Say an ISP assigns you x.y.w.z/27, I should not have to assign my external interfaces that subnet. The ISP should route that subnet out its interface that I connect to. That is how all of our ISP's are setup currently.

hope that makes sense.

@OtakarKlier I also know it that way you describe, but @chuckles wrote the additional IPs are in the same subnet as the external interface.

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!