GlobalProtect App Dynamic Configuration misses information for 'show-system-tray-notifications'

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect App Dynamic Configuration misses information for 'show-system-tray-notifications'

L2 Linker

Hi!

Got a bit of a puzzling issue: This morning was committing a change when I got this mysterious error :-

"GlobalProtect App Dynamic Configuration misses information for 'show-system-tray-notifications'"

... repeated for each of the GlobalProtect portal agent configurations (six across two portals). 

None of the changes I've made recently go anywhere near the GlobalProtect portals - there's been a change or two within the gateways but not the portals. 

The dumped configuration (we check all changes into a repository) contains what I believe to be the right configuration :-

» grep system-tray owl.config
set global-protect global-protect-portal ThePortal client-config configs chromebooks gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no
set global-protect global-protect-portal ThePortal client-config configs globalprotect-testing gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no
set global-protect global-protect-portal ThePortal client-config configs Default gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no
set global-protect global-protect-portal AutoPortal client-config configs Windows-globalprotect-testing gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no
set global-protect global-protect-portal AutoPortal client-config configs Windows gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no
set global-protect global-protect-portal AutoPortal client-config configs Chromebooks gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications value no

Although the validate showed a failure, the actual commit worked (although it caused a few extra grey hairs).

It gets even weirder: A colleague was trying to find the relevant item within the GUI ("Show System Tray Notifications") and couldn't find it. Whilst it was in my browser initially, after closing the tab and re-opening it, it had disappeared!

Anyone see anything like this? Or am I going even madder?

Running 8.1.9 on PA5250s

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Nope, ran into the same thing today as well. Solved it by simply using the GUI to go into the portal configuration, going into the agent configuration and simply clicking okay. That seemed to get things sorted, but didn't change anything within the XML configuration (where I actually make any changed) and allowed the validation error to clear. 

Super annoying and took me way to long to get to the bottom of it, especially since it didn't change anything other than order in the XML between commits. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Nope, ran into the same thing today as well. Solved it by simply using the GUI to go into the portal configuration, going into the agent configuration and simply clicking okay. That seemed to get things sorted, but didn't change anything within the XML configuration (where I actually make any changed) and allowed the validation error to clear. 

Super annoying and took me way to long to get to the bottom of it, especially since it didn't change anything other than order in the XML between commits. 

Thanks for that ... did the trick.

For completeness, it is necessary to go into each agent configuration in turn and do the "Okay" thing. 

Guess this is one downside to my habit of always cancelling out when I'm not making changes!

Hello

it's not ok for me

i still have the same problem

pan-os 8.1.13

L3 Networker

9.0.7 @ PA-3020 - today the same warning popped up, but recommendation didn't seem to help. Also tried changing App configuration, committing and changing it back - still the same.

I just started having this pop up on three different PAs this week. I generally hit cancel as well but your recommendation did work for me. - Thank you.

L1 Bithead

Had the same issue today in Panorama/Prisma Access. The solution worked for us as well.

L0 Member

Yeah solution fixed for me too.

Many thanks.

Actually, according to the commit preview, after the steps you provided device has deleted "show-system-tray-notifications" from the config!

Worked for us.  Thanks.

L2 Linker

Problems came with the update from 8.0.x to 8.1.13.

This workaround worked for me today.

L0 Member

Just a bit more insight into this issue.  3 portals were showing the message so I wanted to see what change the recommended solution in this thread was making.

Portal 1 - Went to agent settings, clicked ok and noticed the commit link went blue.

It appears that the xml was not in the correct order and this "OK" click rearranges it.

AgentChange.PNG

I had the same issue come up today, and the previous fix worked.  just going in and opening each agent configuration and clicking ok for all of them and then comitting fixed it. 

(4/4/2020) Beginning with Applications and Threats content release version 8252, the dynamic configuration for System Tray Notification in the GlobalProtect app is removed (this option was deprecated starting in GlobalProtect app 4.1). You should expect to see a commit warning message ("GlobalProtect App Dynamic Configuration misses information for 'show-system-tray-notifications'") after you update to this or a later content release version. To permanently dismiss this warning message when it first appears, run the following CLI command in configuration mode:
delete global-protect global-protect-portal "<portal name>" client-config configs "<agent-config-name>" gp-app-config config show-system-tray-notifications

Did not work for us.  We are on 8.1.13.  3020 HA pair.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 19 replies
  • 4 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!