GlobalProtect Client - connection establishment speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect Client - connection establishment speed

L2 Linker

Hi there,

we're experiencing a not-really fast connection establishment from the GlobalProtect client; with client cert and user credentials for authentication.

When the computer has been restarted it can take up to 25 seconds. A re-connect later takes approx. 10 seconds.

Currenty we're using the CheckPoint Client for VPN (credentials only), and the connection establishment is much faster; approx 5 seconds.

What is your experience with the connection establishment?

Thanks,

Sven

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

I have found that this depends on which of my firewalls I am connecting to. The one that is in the same state, it connects really quick, and the one in the other state takes longer but no one else but me uses it. So from my experience it has been latency to the VPN is the usual culprit. Also if you are using an older client you may want to test with a newer one to see if its any better.

L4 Transporter

Sven,

If IPV6 is enabled, try disabling it.  This fixed a lot of our issues with Global Protect on start up.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've disabled IPv6 but the first connection after a restart is still quite slow.

According to the logging of the connection establishment on PA Service and Agent it only takes a few seconds; the log on PA does show the same picture.

May the SSL/TLS handshake takes that long? But why only on the first connection establishment after computer restart?

Hi oklier,

I don't have the impression that latency is the issue. But indeed we do have another PA als passive in our DR side. But as long as the PA is passive it shouldn't interfere, if I'm not wrong.

Thanks,

Sven

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!