GlobalProtect Portal hostname for client endpoints

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect Portal hostname for client endpoints

L1 Bithead

Hello all,

I've been trying to find out if it's possible to assign a hostname to a portal so that clients' portal list on their workstations have hostnames rather than IP addresses. I work in an environment where IP address for different "sites" are similar, so it can be difficult for them to remember which IP goes to a site. 

We have this functionality with Cisco ASA's by creating an XML document to attach as a profile for the Anyconnect clients.. Do PA's have this functionality?

I'm working with PA-220's and PA-220R's running 9.0.X.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Drew-Gilman,

So is my understanding correct that you don't have DNS entries for these IPs? If that's the case, the only way you can work around this is by utilizing the hosts file to map a hostname to the IP address; as the agent will then actually know where the traffic is actually supposed to go.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would say utilize and IP space that does not overlap, then create your DNS entry. Then perhaps use the following to help you deploy/modify the client settings?

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/8-0/globalprotect-admin/globalprotect-clients/deploy...

Hope that helps.

Thank you both for your response!

That is correct, and we will not be purchasing domain's for these sites. 

Hopefully, in newer versions of GP, they'll make it so you don't have to own a domain in order to nickname the portals in the session list...

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!