Granular URL Monitoring

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Granular URL Monitoring

L2 Linker

I want to be able to grab full URLs when specific sites are visited e.g. github so I can see what app/repo is being hit. Right now all I get is the domain.

How granular can URL monitoring be? Can I get a full URL from URL filtering or URL category hits?

Can I trigger a packet capture when specific URLs are hit?

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

@mike406,

Then you are recording everything that the firewall can see. Without decryption you won't get the full URL, just what the firewall can see in the session handshake. 

View solution in original post

Hi @mike406 ,

As @BPry mentioned, the way firewalls will identify the base URL is by examinig the servername field in client hello. if your communication is through ssl, the communication will be encrypted after ssl handshake, so the GET messages afterwards will be encrypted, you wont ba able to see it unless you have decryption configured.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@mike406,

Do you decrypt outgoing traffic? 

No, not yet.

@mike406,

Then you are recording everything that the firewall can see. Without decryption you won't get the full URL, just what the firewall can see in the session handshake. 

Hi @mike406 ,

As @BPry mentioned, the way firewalls will identify the base URL is by examinig the servername field in client hello. if your communication is through ssl, the communication will be encrypted after ssl handshake, so the GET messages afterwards will be encrypted, you wont ba able to see it unless you have decryption configured.

L5 Sessionator

Hey @mike406

Under your URL filtering profile -> URL Filtering Settings, have you tried disabling the default option "Log container page only"?

Just tried this, but no luck. Thanks for the idea, though.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!