HA2 link goes down when enabling HA2 keep-alive - PA VM on Azure

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HA2 link goes down when enabling HA2 keep-alive - PA VM on Azure

L1 Bithead

I noticed HA2 link down between the HA A/P peers.

I tried to bounce the link but it didn't help

Disabled session synchronisation and HA2 came up

Re-enabled session synchorisation, HA2 link went down.

Disabled keep-alive on both active and passive firewalls and HA2 link came up

This is when HA2 keepalive is enabled.

AhmedAlRashed_0-1710459098374.png

This is when HA2 keepalive is disabled.

AhmedAlRashed_1-1710459889184.png

Has anyone come across this issue before

VM-Series Azure

Thanks,
Ali
3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@AhmedAlRashed,

I would advise against HA setups in Azure heavily. It's best to deploy two 'active' firewalls as standalone device and use the 'load balancer sandwich' method to facilitate this. PAN HA sitting in Azure has come a long way since it was initially released, but it simply doesn't scale well and still causes long failover times. I'd avoid an HA config in Azure outright. 

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/resources/guides/azure-transit-vnet-deployment-guide

@BPry, thanks for your reply! I 100% agree with you but this is just an existing environment that I’ve picked up as I work in a MSSP and this setup was working fine until it broke a couple weeks ago, no changes at all that could’ve caused the issue. I opened a TAC case and waiting on PA team to advise, I have a feeling it’s a bug 🙂

Thanks,
Ali

L1 Bithead

So... I upgraded the firewalls from 10.1.11 to 10.2.8 and re-enabled HA2 keep-alive and HA2 link stays up. It turned out to be a bug as expected.

@BPry FYI

Thanks,
Ali
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!