Having issues with performing a factory reset on Palo Alto 3060

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Having issues with performing a factory reset on Palo Alto 3060

L0 Member

Hello Everyone, I went and followed a guide on a pair of Palo Alto 3060s I bought for my lab from eBay. The first unit I was able to login with the default user name and password and verify it was working no problem. The 2nd unit still had a config on it and I went and followed the guide to type maint to enter maintenance mode and do a factory reset. However when I went to boot it back up it reverted back to the config again reason I realized this is due to the unit name changing from 3000 back to PA-MDF. Is there a way like with Cisco Routers and Switches to get to the file system and remove the offending config so I can start off with a clean unit? I saw the options for scrubbing but did not want to do that for fear of bricking the unit as I will probably have issues getting a copy of the OS to do a complete reinstall/restore.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

While there is not, I would suggest to try another factory reset.

Regards,

I tried multiple factory resets, changing PanOS versions and even a DoD scrub and for some odd reason this config will not go away. You'd think Palo Alto would have a means to do a password recovery on a firewall if someone has physical access since if they have physical access them changing the password on a firewall is the least of anyone's concerns. 

L2 Linker

Hi @FLind9999 Please try the below article, Its mainly for panorama but as this is your test device , I am sure its going to work if you follow the below article:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClLjCAK

Zain

L0 Member

Try using the "debug swm factory-reset" command in maintenance mode for a more thorough reset. Ensure you back up the OS beforehand to avoid potential issues with reinstalling or restoring.

Best Wishes paybyplate
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!