How do you allow Polycom (nat) via Palo Alto FW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How do you allow Polycom (nat) via Palo Alto FW?

L0 Member

Hi,

I'm having issue with configuring NATing for my Polycom unit sitting behind the firewall to work.  I have allowed all the required apps for Polycom to allow outgoing and incoming.  My issue is when I can only call out to another party with public IP but can't receive call from outside the network.  I have both NAT rule for both ways in place.  Any one have experience with similar setup?

Thanks,

Tevin.

15 REPLIES 15

L4 Transporter

I can answer this question, because I used to work at Polycom and this was a common question.

The HDX (or any Polycom product) is limited to NAT ON or NAT OFF.  There is NO intelligence in the box to assume "Oh, this call is internal, but I see that NAT is enabled, let me just use my internal IP"  ON means NAT is ON, whether internal or external address is being used.

To get around this, you NEED to put your Polycom, into a DMZ Zone off the FW, allow it to have a public IP address.

Your FW rules would allow from Internet to DMZ, or Public IP to public IP>

Your internal users would now use the Public IP of the Polycom codec.  No more calling via the internal IP address.

That is just how it works....

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!