Initial GlobalProtect connection and subsequent drop-outs.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Initial GlobalProtect connection and subsequent drop-outs.

L0 Member

It routinely takes me over 10 minutes to login to my VPN every morning, because the network response is so slow and droppy.  There's so much already loading when I login that I receive "cannot connect" errors from other apps before GlobalProtect even prompts me.  I have gigabit Internet at home with speeds routinely registering at over 300mbps, but my work laptop peaks out at 90mbps after I've successfully connected via GlobalProtect.5.1.3-12 and authenticated on my iWatch.  Even then, it usually takes about 4 tries to get GlobalProtect to KEEP the connection. 

My Internet access is dependent on the VPN connection, so this might be a cart-before-the-horse situation.  It often drops during meetings.or at inopportune moments while I'm working on a remote desktop, then it's a race to reverify before the four 30-second retries expire.  I've tried the "Reconnect" option, but that often leapfrogs validation requests on my device and appears to cancel itself.  There hasn't been a day in recent memory that I had less than a dozen interruptions due to GlobalProtect. 

Is there anything I can tell our tech guys about setting up Internet, firewall and login options to remedy this?

cz
1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@z-anon,

This is going to be extremely difficult to troubleshoot if you don't actively manage the GlobalProtect Gateway in question and can't review the logs. There's a lot that we could do if you have access to those to help you troubleshoot, but without them there's not a whole lot we can recommend for you. You can take a look at the local client side logs, but that isn't likely to be much help in this instance. 

I'd really recommend reaching out to your IT staff and having them review your connection logs. Keeping in mind that IPSec connections are a whole lot more sensitive to disruption than anything else your doing on a normal consumer connection. 

@z-anon wrote:

I have gigabit Internet at home with speeds routinely registering at over 300mbps, but my work laptop peaks out at 90mbps after I've successfully connected via GlobalProtect.5.1.3-12 and authenticated on my iWatch. 

Keep in mind that if your GlobalProtect deployment is routing all traffic through the tunnel, and it sounds like it is, this would be 100% expected. You aren't going to receive the full bandwidth of your home internet connection. You're adding a few additional hops to your connection and that brings additional latency and bottlenecks. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!