Internet Bandwidth usage reports

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Internet Bandwidth usage reports

L3 Networker

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to create a report for Internet bandwidth usage over time.

we are using PA850 version 10.1.9h3

I know I can see live statistics on Network - QOS, but I need a report for the last 7 or 30 days.

It can be daily average.

Thank you all for the help.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@SShnap,

Correct, the report when analyzing a large amount of data will take plenty of time to generate properly. Can't really fix that one, the firewall simply needs to look at a lot of data to generate the report properly. 

Your original question didn't mention that you wanted to make any sort of exception for business hours or exclude certain traffic from the report, simply that you wanted bandwidth statistics. If you want to exclude certain traffic you can just update the query that you're using to exclude the traffic in question. 

As for wanting to exclude certain times of day, that report gets harder to actually generate. Either you'll need to schedule the report so that it can run daily at a desired interval so you can use a filter like (receive_time in last-12-hrs) and only capture the traffic you want, or you'll need to utilize the API and a script so that you can run a daily report with something like ((receive_time geq '2023/08/10 05:00:00') and (receive_time leq '2023/08/10 20:00:00')) to match your desired business hours.

Setting up a query to exclude the backup traffic that you don't appear to want included would be the best path forward in my mind instead of trying to target business hours. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@SShnap,

Assuming that you have a "internet" zone, whether that be the default untrust zone or something else, you can build this report easily by targeting the zone. You would want to use the detailed traffic logs, set whatever time frame you want, and then ensure that you have selected at least Destination Zone and Bytes. Set the query to (zone.dst eq untrust) or whatever your internet zone is named.

The generated report would show you a general usage report for the selected time period. You can include the Source Zone as a selected column if you wanted, you would just have to aggregate the values if you wanted a "total" if that makes sense. 

Hi, thank you and sorry for the late reply, those reports are very heavy and takes time to see more than 7 days.

it will show me the amount of data is being transferred each day on 7 days but I can't assume it being done during business hours if I consider the backup to cloud that we are using. Thank you for the respond.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@SShnap,

Correct, the report when analyzing a large amount of data will take plenty of time to generate properly. Can't really fix that one, the firewall simply needs to look at a lot of data to generate the report properly. 

Your original question didn't mention that you wanted to make any sort of exception for business hours or exclude certain traffic from the report, simply that you wanted bandwidth statistics. If you want to exclude certain traffic you can just update the query that you're using to exclude the traffic in question. 

As for wanting to exclude certain times of day, that report gets harder to actually generate. Either you'll need to schedule the report so that it can run daily at a desired interval so you can use a filter like (receive_time in last-12-hrs) and only capture the traffic you want, or you'll need to utilize the API and a script so that you can run a daily report with something like ((receive_time geq '2023/08/10 05:00:00') and (receive_time leq '2023/08/10 20:00:00')) to match your desired business hours.

Setting up a query to exclude the backup traffic that you don't appear to want included would be the best path forward in my mind instead of trying to target business hours. 

Hi, thank you for the answer, sorry for the late reply.

Looks like those reports are heavy on my PA850 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!