Is tap mode able to pick up virus or spyware

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is tap mode able to pick up virus or spyware

Not applicable

Hi, if i deploy PAN in tap mode. Am i able to pick up virus or spyware detection like it is deployed in L3?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like a configuration challenge, if licenses are there.  This might help:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1164

Thanks

James

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L0 Member

Yes you can. You just need to make sure that you have 'threat prevention' license installed on the box.

Thanks,
Sandeep

Hi, So basically what i see on PAN traffic on tap is exactly the same as other deployment.

The only difference is that i cant enforce control on tap mode.

Am i correct?

Correct.

Sandeep

I had the same question and found this post. If this is correct, then, I can assume my network is in great shape because not a single threat has been detected in 20 days? Highly unlikely in a wide-open college environment, where students bring their computers in for malware infections on a daily basis. Where would I see this activity? In ACC, under URL Filtering, Threat Prevention, and Data Filtering, it's all "No Data Available" We are licensed for URL filtering  and Threat Prevention. Thanks.

Sounds like a configuration challenge, if licenses are there.  This might help:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1164

Thanks

James

...this very likely seems to be a configuration issue. If the document James forwarded does not correct the issue, please work with your local SE or reseller. As you mention, it is highly unlikely for an open network to not see any threats for several days.

Sandeep

L1 Bithead

Thanks, James and Sandeep. I'll read through this tonight and post back tomorrow.

L1 Bithead

Sure enough - the firewall was configured and working fine through step 3, but no policies had been set up per step 4. Picked up on some interesting activity last night. Thanks for the help.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!