Just skype

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Just skype

L6 Presenter

Hi,

An environment like LAN - PAN - Proxy - Router - Internet

is there a way to block everything but allow just skype.No web browsing, nothing allowed except skype.

I tried some rules but skype couldn't connect.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Not applicable

Hello,

Try a rule allowing only skype and ssl, destinated to Any, with url filtering blocking everything but allowing *.skype.com in the whitelist, followed by a rule Deny Any/Any.

Keep an eye on the monitor tab and try to use skype and see if you can identify what application and destination is being blocked from your test workstation and fine tune the rule.

If even then it doesn't work, let us know.

Best regards.

If you allow SSL and URL filtering but you don't intercept/decrypt SSL, won't that not work? Or will PA try to match based on the certificate?

Also make sure you allow skype-probe too in your App column (or I guess PANOS 5 handles app dependencies automagically, so it won't be an issue). Doesn't hurt to have it explicitly defined though

I second skype-probe suggestion. Try skype-probe explicitly. At very least it'll show you some traffic.

L6 Presenter

I tried that but couldn't connect.

I allowed dns, skype ,skype probe, ssl, and some applications but no web browsing

I looked for traffic select deny...

we saw http proxy deny....

So the proxy's denying the traffic? Is the proxy transparent (ex. is it using WCCP?) Or do you explicitly define the proxy on your clients? The Skype client might need to be told about the proxy server in that case.

Allow web browsing via your proxy in one rule and add separate rule which allows skype and skype-probe without proxy (I mean destination is any IP on the outside). Skype also supports configuration for proxy server, so this can also be used as a solution.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!