Meaningful difference 820 vs 850 suggestions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Meaningful difference 820 vs 850 suggestions

L4 Transporter

Besides the throughput, sessions, zones, address objects, decrypt sessions, does anyone have suggestions on noticeable differences between the 820 vs 850  for performance?  

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

@Sec101 wrote:

Besides the throughput, sessions, zones, address objects, decrypt sessions, does anyone have suggestions on noticeable differences between the 820 vs 850  for performance?  

I don't have 850s (yet), but I will be rolling some out in the coming months.  Looking at the spec sheet @Raido_Rattameister posted I think really tells the whole story.  There's not "much" difference.  The biggest most important thing is probably the 10G capabilities.

I think in practice the 850 might be a bit faster on commits perhaps.  If you talk to your SE and you've got an NDA they'll likely tell you the no-kidding performance differences, but I bet there isn't much.

In general though it's my understanding there's some logging /sec limitations (Though it's still "high") on the 8XX series.  

So I'd talk to your SE about logging and 10G needs if you're looking into the 800 series.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Have you checked comparison page?

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/products/product-comparison.html?chosen=pa-850,pa-820

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Yep, went through all that, Thank you for the suggestion though!  Wondering if anyone has hands on with them side by side, any nuances/differences they've noticed?

L6 Presenter

@Sec101 wrote:

I don't have 850s (yet), but I will be rolling some out in the coming months.  Looking at the spec sheet @Raido_Rattameister posted I think really tells the whole story.  There's not "much" difference.  The biggest most important thing is probably the 10G capabilities.

I think in practice the 850 might be a bit faster on commits perhaps.  If you talk to your SE and you've got an NDA they'll likely tell you the no-kidding performance differences, but I bet there isn't much.

In general though it's my understanding there's some logging /sec limitations (Though it's still "high") on the 8XX series.  

So I'd talk to your SE about logging and 10G needs if you're looking into the 800 series.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!