Migrating from 5060 to 5220

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migrating from 5060 to 5220

L2 Linker

Hi,

We are planning to migrate from 5060 to 5220 both should be in PAN-OS 8.0.7 releases.

As per article at https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Hardware-Migration-from-PA2000-to-PA3000-or... taking device state from older platform and importing to the new one should work.

Has any one done it and experienced any commit error before?

thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@tirexxerit,

I haven't done it in a while because it wasn't uncommon to run into things that I needed to tweak anyways. What I personally recommend is exporting both configurations once a basic setup is complete and simply modifying the XML file directly; this is a fairly straight forward process and handles interface changes a lot better in my experience. 

L7 Applicator

I have not done this particular move but have others where the interfaces were the same and where they are different. 

If the OS version is the same

And the interface numbers the same

You can simply import the existing configuration

You will need to edit the interface names throughout the configuration if they are different.  But it looks like your two models are the same.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Thanks for the feedback. Yes interfaces are the same so it shouldn't be really a problem. The only thing is

5060 is on 7.1.x release and new platform is on 8.0.x. I reckon there is no official migration tool

to convert 7.1.x config to 8.0.x and we have to upgrade previous platform first and then export/import

the configuration.

@tirexxerit,

If you are looking to do a strict export/import then yes; you will need the versions to match to actually use this method. 

Hello,

There is a migration tool, however I am not sure if it will handle the change in OS's. I would recommend either to upgrade your current set to the same version or start from scratch (i know its time consuming).

If you upgrade the OS, it would then just be a export config then import config.

Cheers!

Consider upgrading the currently platform to match the new one first, then you can do the import method.

It is much simpler and less error prone.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L0 Member

Tirexxerit

which approach you end up taking for migration. Any advice. 
Sounds like import and export device state should work if interface config is like-to-like and on panorama just need to replace old SN (PA-5060) with new (PA-5220). 
Please provide some light on this. 

Thank you so much!

DP

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!