Need to allow service for Ping application

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Need to allow service for Ping application

L3 Networker

Hi Team

We have configured the one Destination NAT policy. My requirement is Ping the NAT IP (Public IP) from the external network.

I have configured one security policy with application as 'ping' and service as 'any'.

For the above configuration, I can able to ping the Public IP from the external network. But I want to allow the specific service for Ping application. 

Note : If I configured the service as "any or application-default", I can able to ping from the external network. If I mention particular service, I couldn't able to ping from the external network.

My question is, What is the service need to allow only for PIng application?

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Regards

Mohammed Asik

8 REPLIES 8

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

Ping is neither TCP nor UDP, it's protocol 1 then I think you are unable to configure your own service.

In some fw you can find port 0.

Rgds

V.

The correct way to enable all applications, is to use the service of "application-default".

So change from service of "any" to "application-default"

Thanks

Steve

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

Hi Steve

I had already configured as application default and I could able to ping from external network.

But the issue is, we are receiving the lot of unwanted ports hit the server. Due to this, Server load become high. So that only we want to mention the particular the ports in service.monitor.PNG

I want to block the unwanted port hit from firewall itself which will not hit the server.

Could you suggest me?

Regards

Mohammed Asik

Hi Mohammed,

Seem you are on public IP range on both your wan and your DMZ. then if you just want to allowed ping. You should only have security rule like

from zone: WAN1-TATA 

To zone DMZ-1

To IP 203.196.171.56

Application: ping 

Service: Application default

Action: Allow

Your Internet-DMZServers rule should be TO LARGE 🙂

Incomplete mean, syn arrive to your server and your server never answer.

Rgds

V.

Hi Vince

Incomplete mean, syn arrive to your server and your server never answer.

Yes you're correct, the syn arrived to the server. My requirement is syn should not reach the server, it should block from firewall.

How can we achieve it ?

Regards

Mohammed Asik

Hi,

No reason for syn on port TCP/445 to arrive on your server if you don't want it.

But it seem your security rule allow it.

what your security rule look like ??

Allow only app on application-default.

V.

Hi Vince

Yes, In security rule I have allowed the application Ping , SSL, FTP and service as Application-default.

Since the unwanted ports are hit the server without allowing the mentioned port

Regards

Mohammed

Hi,

You have to know that before beeing able to indifty a complete app, your firewall nedd to first allow session's first packet.

Mean allowing syn / syn-ack /ack + first apcket.

At the beginning session identification is based on 5-tuple (source zone, source IP subnet, destination zone, destination IP subnet, destination port). Mean, based on this criterim, session match first security rule which allow these packet.

If your rule is on top, it can explain strange traffic in your log.

look: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS9CAK

Rgds

V.

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!