New To Palo Alto, Best Way To Get Started and Learn?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

New To Palo Alto, Best Way To Get Started and Learn?

L1 Bithead

If it helps, we use something called Panorama 10.2 which I am now in charge of so looking for how best to learn this? 

So best way to learning the world of Palo Alto firewall administration. 

let me know

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@RDominguez,

In that case, I highly recommend bookmarking the admin guide for Panorama and PAN-OS and reviewing them as much as possible. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

Palo Alto has a training portal site that has some videos and quizzes if you like that: Home : Beacon (paloaltonetworks.com)

If you're feeling really adventurous you can read through the admin guide as this is the documentation your will be referring to throughout: Next-Generation Firewall (paloaltonetworks.com)

Looking over the information for the PCNSA certification may not hurt either: Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Administrator (PCNSA) - Palo Alto Networks

And I liked Reapers book on mastering pan-os as that goes over some more real world stuff then documentation/best practice stuff does. Mastering Palo Alto Networks: Deploy and manage industry-leading PAN-OS 10.x solutions to secure you...

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@RDominguez,

Do you have anyone already used to utilizing PAN-OS in your organization that you can learn from? There's a bit of a learning curve depending on what platform you're migrating from, but I personally wouldn't consider it all that steep of a curve. 

As @Claw4609 already mentioned, there's a number of really good resources out there to get things off the ground and start learning things. A couple other suggestions that I would have is listening into the existing PANCast podcast episodes and finding ones that are relevant to you that you can listen to.

The last advice that I'll give is something that I recommend to everyone just getting started; check back in here regularly and just poke around the discussions (and don't forget about the dedicated Panorama Discussions area) and read through what's being asked. It's a good way to organically discover what others are doing, and gives you some exposure to things that you might not be using in your implementation that you can add. 

@BPry Negative, unless you count ChatGPT, which is what I have been using thus far, helps, but doesn't translate into proper learning. 

How I see it, my issue is 2-fold

#1 - learn to install and configure, setup Palo Alto firewalls
#2 - administer the firewall, learn to use Panorama

so was looking for an install/guide walkthru as well as a Panoroma overview..  any leads?

Otherwise when time allows I will take a look at the resources linked

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@RDominguez,

In that case, I highly recommend bookmarking the admin guide for Panorama and PAN-OS and reviewing them as much as possible. 

^^ thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!!  but wow, looks like I'm in for a world of hurt..

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@RDominguez,

Remember if you get stuck that people here are generally willing to help out on any issues. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!