New to PAN - Traffic log Destination column question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

New to PAN - Traffic log Destination column question

Not applicable

Hello,

What information is the Traffic Log's "Destination" column giving me?

We are just setting up a pair of PA-500s and I am perusing through the traffic log and noticed that the destination column doesn't seem to reflect the website destination that a user has tried to go to.  Instead it seems to only list either the DNS name of the destination server for the site beinig accessed or the destination IP address.  This is very confusing for troubleshooting purposes like when a user calls me with trouble accessing a site and I tell them to go to the site now and I can't tell that they have hit the site.  Not to mention the fact that it takes like 30 seconds for their traffic to even make it into the Traffic log.  We did not purchase the URL filtering license since we have a full Websense Security Suite in place here.   It may be helpful to have an additional column that gives the "User Requested Destination" information. So that if a user tries to go to "www.Yahoo.com", I see "www.Yahoo.com" in that part of the log.  Maybe this is available in the URL filtering log but since I do not have that licensed, I am unable to view any content there.

Thanks!

Mike

1 REPLY 1

Not applicable

Ok, so I ran across a document that explained how to receive URL filtering logs even though you do not have that feature licensed.  After following the instructions, it works great!

Oh, one caveat is that I get this error whenever committing a config (device: Rule 'Allow All Out': Warning: No valid URL filtering license).  I assume this will be the case for every commit unless I license the URL filtering.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!