Overlapping entry in custom url lists

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Overlapping entry in custom url lists

L4 Transporter

I have 2 custom url categories. One as whitelist and other as blacklist. I am in the situation where I have *.youtube.com in allow list and needed to block tv.youtube.com

I added tv.youtube.com to blocklist but the firewall is still taking *.youtube.com and allowing it. I donot want to remove *.youtube since there are many links that should be allowed in my environment that I can't sort out. 

What would be the best approach?

By the way,I have DNS sinkhole enabled with EDL. Adding tv.youutube.com to that EDL will help me?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Maybe check the order of the policies you have for them? Make sure the whitelist is above the blacklist.

Hope that helps.

I used both these url categaories for same rule. So, I cannot change the order. 

@SThatipelly,

That would be your issue, and what I think @OtakarKlier was trying to get at. You won't be able to combine these within the same URL category. You'll need to make a rule that specially blocks tv.youtube.com, and place it before your current rule that is allowing access to *.youtube.com. 

Thanks @BPry, that was exactly where I was heading with it!

L3 Networker

Hi mate,

possible in the one rule if creative with the order of precedence for url filtering. 

check out the order of precednce below.. 

block yer blocks in the block list not custom category and allow yer allows in the allow list or custom categories whitelist. 

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/URL-Filtering-Order/ta-p/59334

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Create-Custom-URL-Categories/ta-p...

cheers

Rob 

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!