Override in URL Filtering is not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Override in URL Filtering is not working

L3 Networker

Hi Team,

One of the domain is not working even after adding that domain in Allow list in override tab under URL Filtering.

I have blocked one URL category in that URLFiltering profile however i have added a website/Domain that needs to allow if also it gets matched with the blocked category and it doesn't worked. So please suggest what can be done to resolve this issue. 

Best Regards,

Sahul Hameed

8 REPLIES 8

L2 Linker

what do the logs say?
as it's very hard to even diagnose a problem like this based on minimal information.

but often time behaviour like this is caused by traffic not being what you expect or not being processed by the rules/profiles you think.

have you verified whether the url filtering profile you added the whitelist to is actually used in the policy

have you commited( and commit was succesfull after the changes)

are you sure teh traffic is being processed by a rule that has the url filtering profile and is not being processed by a rule beofre that( with perhaps a differetn profile or just a drop rule)

@TommieVanHove

Thanks for your response !!

The Log says -- the traffic is still blocking (Block-URL) iby ,matching with appropriate URL Filtering profile which was mapped in the respective policy.

I can able to see the traffic is getting matched in the exact policy and URL Filtering profile. 

When i have set the action for that particular URL Category to allow / alert instead of block the website which i have override is getting accessible. However when i block that URL Category its not allowing us to access the website. 

Please let me know if you need any other details. Thanks in advance !!

Best Regards,

Sahul Hameed

In some cases I have had to put allowed URLs in like this for an entire domain to work:

*.allowedURL.*

it's not recommended to use multiple wildcards....they say this can severly impact performance.

okay.

below posts do actually raise possibly a next step.

it's possible the url is redirecting to a similar but different url.

eg.
if you whitelist random.org

but as soon as you access the site it redirects you to URL.random.org --> you have an issue.
*.random.org --> would solve this issue( but is a workaround at best)
random.org.* --> perhaps there is a usecase for this however I've never had to do that.
so perhaps you can try whitelisting the url by adding *. in front of it.

to hopefully catch a redirect.

and let us know if that allows the traffic.

@TommieVanHove 

I have tried adding all the possible patterns and that doesn't helps in this scenario.

Also there were no redirecting of the portal is happening while browsing that website.

I have added that domain for eg. *.test.org/* on the Override Allow list in URL Filtering profile. However it doesn't helps.

Best Regards,

Sahul Hameed

Do you have the URL category applied to a security group profile, and that profile bound to your web-browsing rule?

Recently I've been seeing the URL Filter overrides stop working at two customer sites.  Both are running older code (8.0), but sites that are in the Override Allow List are no longer being permitted.  These firewalls are also having difficulty installing the latest content databases, etc. since 9/21.  Had to create a new policy for specific users to bypass the URL filtering at the first customer.  I've now upgraded the firewalls at this customer but haven't reinstated the URL filtering as of yet.  I will be upgrading the firewalls at the other customer this weekend.  Hopefully that will resolve this issue, but curious if anyone has seen a similar issue.

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!