PA-2050 connected to Cisco 4000-series switch

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-2050 connected to Cisco 4000-series switch

L1 Bithead

Hello,

We had a problem when we connected PA-2050 appliance (PanOS 3.x) to Cisco 4000-series switch. There was simply about 30% packet loss in traffic and it wasn't usable. Then we just put some dummy switch between PA and Cisco and everything works fine.

Now we discovered the problem disappeared when we replaced Cisco switch module hardware revison 1.0 to hardware revison 1.5.

Does anybody else experienced such a problem?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

We do not recall any similar issues with older software versions from cisco. while on the older software version did you recall if the interfaces were statically set or configured for auto? also do you recall if the interface came up 100 full or 1000 full?

Not applicable

Personally I've had lots of issues with 500s / 2000s port miss-matching with Cisco / HP and others.  As part of the basic install I check the ports via CLI before proceeding - I also fix the speed and duplex setting - this fixes most throughput problems!

Hello,

I was talking about hardware version. I realize it's quite hard to test it on your side, cause it needs specific hardware module.

Br!

L4 Transporter

As has been suggested, this is almost always caused by a duplex/speed mis-match.

Early Cisco switches were notorious for not auto-negotiating connection speed properly.

The simplest solution to this is to hard-set the port on the Cisco with the following commands

conf t

interface <id>

speed 1000

duplex full

end

copy run start

If your switch is running CatOS rather than IOS, then the commands are something like this

set port speed 3/1 1000

set port duplex 3/1 full

Can't remember how to save on CatOS, sorry.

You can also hard-set the port onth e PA through the GUI, although you shouldn't need to do it at both ends.

Cheers

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!