PA-500 PAN OS 5.0.2 Firewall Self Reboot.!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-500 PAN OS 5.0.2 Firewall Self Reboot.!

L4 Transporter

Greetings,

Any idea if PAN OS 5.0.2 has a bug that could reboot the firewall on its own?  This has happened yesterday, when the PA-500 self rebooted (obviously lost access to everything for a good 25 mins).  First thing I did was:

1. Looked at the system logs for that specific period and there was nothing evident of why the firewall rebooted. I could only see a good gap of 15 mins with no logs; after which logging was regarding the interfaces coming up etc.

2. From the cli I used less mp-log ms.log - to find some interesting stuff (snapshot attached).  At 10:36 am when the firewall went down to 10:45 am; nothing has been logged apart from the special character.  I could not find any relevant information from any other logs. 

3. I then generated the tech support file to figure out if the crashinfo had any information, but nothing was to be found.

Any ideas?  Any other ways I can find why the firewall has rebooted on its own?

Many Thanks

Kalyan

15 REPLIES 15

L2 Linker

Hello Kalyan,

The reasons of restart could be many. Best would be to open a case to our support engineers and we will work on the issue.

Alex

Hey Hi,

I know there can be many more reasons.  But a quick insight what else can I look into will be very helpful.  Apart from this, are there any known issues with version 5.0.2. regarding rebooting?

Regards,

Kalyan

Please open up a support case. There appears to be an issue with the HDD. Further analysis could prove it and therefore an RMA can be initiated on your behalf.

L2 Linker

I think the consensus is that 5.0.2 is extremely buggy, _especially_ on the PA-500. You would do yourself well by going back to 5.0.1

L4 Transporter

True 5.0.2 has kind of been buggy; specially with the CPU issues. But again, 5.0.1 has its own equal share in having issues.  I am eagerly waiting for 5.0.3 to be released!  Nevertheless, as Rkalugdan states, I will open up a case with PAN support in a bit for further forensics.

Hoping for a 5.03 release soon as well. The ms.log, to me indicates a likely RMA of your unit due to a faulty HDD.

I was informed that 5.0.3 would be released either this week, or next week at the latest!

A.

(Now shamelessly accepting the next 54 friend requests.)

L4 Transporter

Would wait for 5.0.3 next week

L4 Transporter

This is leading more towards a bug in 5.0.2 related to ACC.  This is the latest update I have so far!

L1 Bithead

5.0.2 has rebooted on me a few times, but the main issue is high CPU on the management side as well as management interface via web console timing out and resetting (fortunately, not affecting the data plane).  The reboot issue was far worse in 5.0.1 for me.  Looking forward to 5.0.3.

Hi. 5.0.3 is released, you can upgrade the device now

Thanks...have it downloaded...going to pull the trigger on this upgrade tonight.

L1 Bithead

So far so good...on 5.0.3.  Management CPU still has spikes, but not running maxed out continually.

What PAN HW PA500? I still have almost 100% MGMT CPU, has anyone done an inline upgrade to the RAM for this?

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!