Pan Commit Changes By User

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Pan Commit Changes By User

L2 Linker

An intriguing feature of PAN OS 8.0.9 is the ability to commit your own changes as opposed to all candidate config. This would be great because it's often that two or more engineers will have changes that overlap pending the approval chain. But if I click on Commit Changes Made By (my user ID) - and then try to Preview Changes, I get an error like:

Preview-Chg
Status Completed
Result Failed
Details
  • This operation is blocked because of following changes by other administrators:
  • WorkAway-17 modified by babadoo in vsys vsys1 rulebase security rules
  • To proceed with the operation, please select all of these administrators

Because the preview doesn't work for the individual user, I haven't pressed ahead to actually commit my changes. Is it the case that Commit works but not the Preview Changes? Or is the whole thing just not ready for prime time? Or could I be misunderstanding the purpose and value of the Commit Changes Made By: widget? 

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

L2 Linker

I have not had this issue, but maybe because my changes have been independent from the other person's changes. It sounds like your changes depend on something else being added by another person.

BTW, are you using Panorama? If you are, I really like the improvements in Panorama 8.1

L1 Bithead

From what I have seen. This happens when two or more administrators make changes to and they have not been committed to the same branch of the XML configuration. 

For example, the same Device group in Panorama is being changed by two admins simultaneously and the changes are not committed. 

You will have to either commit all changes or have one admin back out of their changes, let the other admin make and commit changes, and then the first admin who backed out of their changes can proceed with theirs. 

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Usama Ahmed

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!